Re: using an attribute to categorize the @alt state [was Baby Steps or Backwards Steps?]

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:30:34 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org

Jon Barnett writes:

> On 8/16/07, Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com> wrote:
>
> > I can't think of a good name for this attribute, but consider
> > something like @embedrel (required) for now (name suggestions
> > welcome). The value of this attribute would reflect the scenarios
> > identified in the recent changes to the draft. missing, icon,
> > decorative, seecontext, seefallback. The value 'missing' would be
> > the default value, unless '@a't had a string (or perhaps some other
> > contingencies for content backwards compatibility )  so not setting
> > either @alt or @embedrel would be considered 'missing'.
>
> I am by no means opposed to a new attribute for indicating that an
> image intentionally has no @alt text, i.e. a new attribute to do what
> omitting @alt does now.  The suggestion was @noalt, Maciej has
> mentioned it in a recent message.  If it can be proven that either (a)
> enough UAs treat missing @alt the same as alt="" or (b) enough authors
> omit alt when they really mean alt="", then I'd be in favor of that
> attribute.

We'd also need to define what user-agents should do if:

* an img has both noalt and alt=""
* an img has both noalt and a non-empty alt

By using two separate attributes we introduce the scope for
self-contradictory documents.  An advantage of using 'not having an alt
attribute' to mean 'noalt' is that it's impossible to simultaneously
both omit the alt attribute and include it.

Smylers