4.5. Interfaces for URI manipulation

From: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:19:55 +1000
To: HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#interfaces

I would like to see URI attribute names matching the names given those
components in the URI spec:
http://gbiv.com/protocols/uri/rfc/rfc3986.html#components

protocol -> scheme
userInformation (new)
hostname -> host
port (no change)
host -> authority (includes userInformation in addition to host:port)
pathname -> path
search -> query
hash -> fragment

I've no idea where the terms in the HTML5 draft come from (if they
come from a meaningful source, a reference to that would be useful).

I don't mind if there are duplicates e.g. if "search" and "query" are
both attributes and mean the same. Unfortunately "host" will be a
problem.

Is there a legacy issue with implementations already using this
terminology? I suspect there is.

cheers,
Ben