Re: Dropping <input usemap="">

From: Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:44:47 +0100
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
CC: Tom Morris <tom@tommorris.org>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> OK, I'll rephrase it.  Many sites that have used usemap="" on <input
> type="image"> cease to function in browsers that implement the usemap
> attribute on input elements.  Firefox and Opera are the only known
> browsers that implement it, IE and Safari don't, and there are also no
> known use cases for it to be on input elements.
> Thus, including it would violate the Support Existing Content and Solve
> Real Problems design principles, and so therefore it has been omitted.

So are you arguing that the design of HTML 5 should be based,
in part, on a putative "need" to support sites that have used a
documented feature of HTML 4.01, yet which rely on that feature
not working as documented in some fraction of their visitor's
browsers ?  Are we really going to re-define the syntax and
semantics of HTML based on the contra-normative use of it by
a small number of seemingly perverse sites ?

I could perhaps accept the argument if it were based on
prevalence : for example, where > N% of randomly selected
sites, or > M pages, rely on such a feature, but to argue
it in the absence of well-defined N or M is (to my mind)
allowing the craziness of a small number of individuals
to outweigh the combined wisdom of all those who formulated
the specification for HTML 4.01 in the first place.