Re: Rewording the Design Principles: Pave the Cowpaths and Don't Reinvent the Wheel

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Don't Reinvent the Wheel
>
>   Evaluate the success and failure of existing solutions. For those
>   that have proven reasonably successful in terms of benefits, usage
>   and implementation, consider adopting, retaining and/or improving
>   upon them in preference to dismissing and inventing new features.

@summary, headers/id, @alt. They work, keep 'em (while rolling in
improvements of course).

> Pave the Cowpaths
>
>   Investigate existing practices and design or adopt features that
>   meet the desires of authors.

While yes it is important to meet the needs of authors, it is more
important that authors output code that meets the needs of users. Within
the hierarchy they are secondary (sorry).  Even if HTML as we know if
ended up in the bin to replaced by a Cyrillic script the web would
survive as authors would learn to adapt. If you wish to be Darwinian
about it this may not even be a bad thing as those who are not strong
enough to meet the challenge would survive while the rest would meet
their inevitable end.

BTW - Following a bunch of cows where they will is a recipe for
disaster, even if they can build websites.

Josh