Re: meta refresh (3.7.5.3. Pragma directives)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:31:49 +0200
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>, "Ben Boyle" <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:27:21 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
wrote:
> This addresses redirects, not refreshes. The use cases for refreshes
> from the WHATWG list if I remember correctly are pages to be shown in a
> kiosk, stock pages that don't want to rely on JavaScript being enabled,
> etc. Can't seem to find the discussion in the archives though.

Use case for redirects is similar. A set of static pages like an image
gallery displaying in some kiosk. Using <meta http-equiv=refresh> you can
at least allow the user to control the redirect (Firefox allows that now,
I believe). Using JavaScript timers that would no longer be possible and
the whole thing would become less accessible.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>