Re: Maturity of XML

From: Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:20:22 +0100
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
CC: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

Julian Reschke wrote:

>> "Generally speaking, authors are discouraged from trying to use XML on
>> the Web, because XML has much stricter syntax rules than the "HTML5"
>> variant described above, and is relatively newer and therefore less
>> mature."

> Out of context, this sounds really bad, because it looks like an attempt
> to discourage use of XML *in general*. Minimally, this should be
> rephrased to say "XHTML" instead of "XML".

I do not think that even your re-cast version really addresses the problem.
Do we /really/ want to argue that HTML5 washes whiter than the other
leading brand ?  I most certainly don't.  Additionally, many of us
would undoubtedly argue that the "stricter syntax rules" of XML are
positively beneficial and that HTML5 bends over backwards (far too far,
IMHO) to pander to the inabilities and inadequacies of the technologically
illiterate.

Philip Taylor