Re: ID Characters (was: Re: 3.4. Global attributes)

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 12:42:31 +0300
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>

On Aug 1, 2007, at 12:21, Thomas Broyer wrote:

> I suppose RelaxNG has no such constraint either, so it's really only a
> problem with XML DTDs (and xml:id, but we're talking about (X)HTML5's
> id attributes here, not xml:id).

RELAX NG proper doesn't do IDness at all. RELAX NG DTD Compatibility
does. The default DTD-compat datatype library isn't actually DTD-
compatible: it is XSD-compatible. (It requires NCName.) For custom
datatype libraries the constraint is that the ID values that get
assigned can't contain XML 1.0 white space.

Anyway, this doesn't really matter for (X)HTML5, since RELAX NG DTD
Compatibility is so woefully inadequate in other ways that for
conformance checking you really want to use something else
(Schematron or custom code) and leave IDness out of the RELAX NG
layer altogether.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi