Re: New HTML/XML Task Force Report published

I finally, belatedly read the report. Overall, I think it's excellent, at
least in capturing what progress we've managed to make. A few small points
and suggestions:

* I think you do a great job of outlining the options. I wonder whether we
could, after some discussion, give some guidance on which ones we'd like to
encourage for early and widespread deployment?  I understand the arguments
against doing so (let the market decide), but offering an opinion might
jump start the process of getting everyone to invest in common approaches
and tooling.

* 2.5 suggests that XML parsers could be "made more forgiving of errors".
What's not covered here is that there are various options one could
consider for the XML Recommendation itself.  My favorite, though one I've
advocated for so long the people are no doubt tired of me repeating it is:
restructure the XML Recommendation into two  or more separate parts, one
defining what the structure and interpretation of well formed documents,
and the other(s) to define (classes) of processors. One such class would no
doubt be the unforgiving processors with just the reporting rules given in
XML 1.0 Rel5, but others might be written for the more forgiving processors
you suggest. Alternatively, one could just remove the admonition that all
processors must stop reporting user data on first error.

* I'm always greatful for anything that bumps my citation count, but I have
no clue why the references to MTOM and XOP are needed, as they aren't
mentioned in the rest of the text.

Thanks again for doing such a terrific job.

Noah