Re: Revised HTML/XML Task Force Report

On Jul 13, 2011, at 07:28 , Larry Masinter wrote:
> The task force was created by the TAG
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2010Dec/0064.html.
> to help the TAG address the issue
> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/67
>
> As a TAG member, I am giving feedback on the report and the work it represents as an analysis of the issues. I think it's part of the job of the TAG to respond to the draft report so far and to ask for additional information, improved reports, additional considerations and perspectives, in the report of the task force it called for.
>
> While I don't expect a task force to necessarily solve the problem given it, I do expect, if the conclusion is that the problem given the task force cannot be solved, for the task force to explain clearly, cogently, concisely (without too many references to jump through or an expectation to have participated in years of discussion) why the problem cannot be solved.  I don't think the HTML/XML task force draft report does that yet.

In that regard I think it would be helpful if the TAG offered more information on the problem that this TF is in fact expected to solve. What we've done with the report is that we've identified a series of use cases where one may wish to use XML and HTML together, and therefore where we expect there to be potential problems due to the technology stacks drifting apart (as discussed in the original TAG issue). For each of those use cases it strikes me that there's a workable (if at times inelegant) solution. So I'm really not sure what is expected of us beyond that.