Re: The interpretation of script

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:34:09 -0500
To: liam@w3.org
CC: public-html-xml@w3.org

On 1/17/2011 9:19 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> The "XML Promise" is that any XML application is licensed by the XML
> Specification to process any XML document.

In general yes, but not in every particular context.  Here we're talking
not about the "XML promise" but the "HTML <script> promise", which is
(roughly) to try and run its child content as a script.

So, this is a particular application of XML, I.e. use of XML as content of
a <script> element.  We are trying to determine what the specification for
<script> should say about processing such XML content, and whether the
specification for <script> should be generalized to cover its use for data
as well as for scripts (whether in XML or not). I don't think it violates
the letter or the spirit of XML or "XML promises" for the specification of
<script> to indicate, in the case where the root element of the XML is seen
to be markup for an executable language, to run that program.

Noah