Re: XForms Use Case

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 20:37:47 +0000
To: Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com>
CC: "public-html-xml@w3.org" <public-html-xml@w3.org>

> Deploying XForms in text/html isn't a use case, it's a *solution* one
> could propose *for* some use case(s). I'd like to know of a use case,
> solvable by deploying XForms in text/html, that isn't solvable by simply
> using HTML's existing forms functionality.

Well, there are many benefits in adopting a more declarative approach to
forms generation, with automatic validation based on schema definitions
and so on. And of course, one way to implement XForms is to compile the
high-level forms descriptions into low-level HTML/Javascript widgets.

But surely, that's not the point? Isn't it enough that there's a
community of people who want to do XForms? Why should you, or anyone
else, stand as gatekeeper and tell them they have to convince you first?

Michael Kay
Saxonica