Re: Use cases

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1. One use case that is important to me is using a schema-driven XML
> > authoring tool to create HTML5 in the HTML syntax.  In particular, I
> would
> > like to be able to use a tool like nxml-mode, which is schema-aware but
> > exposes the syntax of the document, rather than working purely on a tree.
>
> I'm working on implementing the HTML5 parser in Emacs Lisp. I've got
> the tokenizer implemented and passing around half of the html5lib
> tokenizer tests. Its interface will be similar to your xmltok.el, so
> eventually it'll plug into nxml-mode (or, if nxml-mode proves to have
> to many XMLisms baked in, a similar mode).

xmltok.el is only half the story.  The trickier bit is the next layer which
provides incremental parsing and error recovery (documents under
construction benefit from special error handling to deal with eg unclosed
comments). See nxml-rap.el.  Note that although a version of nxml-mode that
works with HTML5 would be a useful thing to have, it would not completely
satisfy my use case: I want to create documents that are both HTML5 and XML.

James