Re: Use cases

From: Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 18:22:21 -0800
To: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Cc: public-html-xml@w3.org
> Here's another use case, which I think is important.
>
> An organization is using HTML5 as part of a sophisticated document
> production workflow.  The final stage is to serve HTML documents over the
> web to consumers. At this final stage, the documents are valid HTML5 (with
> no extensions).  However, at earlier stages in the workflow the organization
> wishes to add extensions to HTML5 in order to guide subsequent stages.

This use case sounds like Use Case 6 in my ISSUE-41 Change Proposal:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/User:Eoconnor/ISSUE-41#Use_Case_6

As documented there, several existing HTML extension points already
address this use case.

> In other words, the organization wants to invent its own tags
> for internal use so that it can represent information in as straightforward
> and direct a way as possible.

Ahh. I don't assume that such workflow extensions require novel
*elements* (which is assuming a solution to the use case).

Ted