Re: Use cases

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 16:27:12 -0500
To: Kurt Cagle <kurt.cagle@gmail.com>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, public-html-xml@w3.org
Kurt Cagle scripsit:

> At this point only a very small fraction of the HTML out there (maybe
> 0.01 percent) is HTML5, and most of that is in the use of <video> and
> <audio> tags. HTML5 is not HTML4, though it is obviously backwards
> compatible. While it is sometimes convenient to use the weight of
> existing HTML in these arguments, the reality is that HTML5 is still
> an ongoing work in progress, subject to change.

For present purposes, I would rather say that almost no content is either
valid HTML 4.0 or valid HTML5, but an HTML5 engine is able to process
almost all of it, a pre-HTML5 engine rather less.

> One question that should be asked is how much of the "ill-formed" (from the
> XML perspective) comes from developers coding websites mostly be hand
> (perhaps with a JSP or similar substitution layer handling individual text
> substitution) and how much comes from web application frameworks?
>
>  If the former dominates (and will continue to dominate), then I think that
> the argument of HTML5 as a language distinct from XML makes sense.

The overwhelming legacy HTML (all of which processable as is HTML5,
even if invalid) is really the dominant effect.

--
John Cowan              cowan@ccil.org          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Any day you get all five woodpeckers is a good day.  --Elliotte Rusty Harold