Re: Suggested revised text for HTML/XML report intro

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 08:45:12 +0200, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
wrote:
> Noah Mendelsohn scripsit:
>> Hmm. First of all, I certainly would be glad to find out that XML5
>> could "work", and be widely accepted; it's just the sort of direction
>> I was hoping the task force would find to be practical.
>
> I continue to believe that XML5 is not practical because of the
> generality of XML.  Malformed HTML can be repaired on the principle of
> "change it to be well-formed HTML that browsers will treat identically
> to the original."  No equivalent principle exists for XML, because there
> are no privileged XML-processing applications; the canonical application
> for XML depends on the variety of XML, and may not even exist for many
> varieties.

Your principle is wrong. HTML is not repaired; processing just does not
stop. Doing the same for XML is fairly trivial. (As is doing it for CSS,
WebVTT, event streams, etc.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/