Re: Updated draft

On 15/08/2011 19:55, Robert Leif wrote:
> Norm,
>
> Please include some statement concerning that an implementation of
> HTML5 in XML, XHTML5 could be compatible with XML.
>
> Please notice that I used the word could _not_ would.

It's quite hard to understand what you mean here. It appears that you
use "XML" synonymously with "use of XSD". Many uses of XML don't use XSD
at all, and for document-centric XML such as XHTML, Relax NG is probably
a far better choice of schema technology. (Relax schema for HTML can be
obtained from the Henri's validator.nu distribution for example.) If you
need XSD Schema a converter such as trang should be able to convert the
Relax to XSD.

> Since the XHTML5 schema(s) would not foresee the elements in the XML
> documents that will be placed inside of the XHTML elements

Why can't any extension points be flagged in your XSD as lax validation?

 > and similarly creation of XML
> schemas that import or include a large number of XHTML elements is
> impractical,

I don't understand this, as above, generation of XSD schema covering all
HTML(5) elements should be fairly automatic from existing relax schema
(or possibly even the html5 spec).

 > validation of the resultant XHTML page would be highly
> improbable if not impossible.
>
> Bob Leif

However the real question is whether you are just asking for a schema or
whether you expect browsers to do anything different here?

It is already possible to send arbitrary XML, or xhtml with arbitrary
XML "island" fragments. If served with an XML mime type current browsers
will parse these correctly but just render the elements as unknown
elements (ie just rendering their contents) unless the xml is styled
with css or xsl.

If you have a local schema for some extended xhtml, the files may be
valid to that schema, but whether they or valid or not has no effect on
a browser, any unknown elements will need to be styled with css/xsl.

David
--
google plus: https:/profiles.google.com/d.p.carlisle