RE: Suggested revised text for HTML/XML report intro

Noah Mendelsohn et al.

I believe that the argument by Noah Mendelsohn is valid in principle and
that there is a consensus among us about the use of XHTML. However, it was
emphasized during our discussions that a solution that was specific to XHTML
was unacceptable for this project. The inclusion of a disclaimer should
ensure that the HTML/XML report document will not be misconstrued to be a
statement that precludes a solution based on the use of XHTML5 and XML.
Since we cannot assume that the readers of the HTML/XML report will have the
background or expertise to understand its limits, it is prudent to let them
know of these limits. If my sentence, "Since XHTML5 has not been completely
specified, no conclusion concerning interfacing it with XML can presently be
made."  is unacceptable, please modify it.  The reason for the use of
negatives is that, as far as I know, there is no official implementation of
XHTML5. Therefore we are speculating that if an official implementation of
XHTML5 becomes available, it will completely interface with XML. Since the
present HTML implementation is based on IDL, it cannot be assumed that an
XHTML5 implementation will be based on an XML schema. The creation of an
XHTML5 high-level specification need not result in the implementation of a
functioning XHTML5. Presently, I do not know of an official version of
XHTML5 that is available for test and that it would also have to permit
inclusion of a means to create an interleave element or its equivalent.

If XHTML5 is eventually described by a full XML schema, then I would agree
that one should be able to import or include it into an XML schema and
import or include an XML schema into an XHTML5 schema. The closest that I
have seen is the MicrosoftR schema for HTML5 that is used with Expression
Web. I cannot make any statement about the long term utility or availability
of this schema because it appears to lack a copyright notice and I do not
know if it is or will be a valid description of XHTML5 or that it conforms
to the W3C or other responsible organization copyright rules.  As an
experimentalist, I would not claim that a problem has been solved without
carefully testing the result.

Yours,

Robert (Bob) Leif