Re: Suggested revised text for HTML/XML report intro

On 8/11/2011 11:00 AM, Robert Leif wrote:
> Since XHTML5 has not been completely specified, no conclusion concerning
> interfacing it with XML can presently be made.

I would very much appreciate a clarification of the thinking behind this
request. The draft specification says [1]:

"The second concrete syntax is the XHTML syntax, which is an application of
XML. When a document is transmitted with an XML MIME type, such as
application/xhtml+xml, then it is treated as an XML document by Web
browsers, to be parsed by an XML processor. Authors are reminded that the
processing for XML and HTML differs; in particular, even minor syntax
errors will prevent a document labeled as XML from being rendered fully,
whereas they would be ignored in the HTML syntax. This specification
defines version 5 of the XHTML syntax, known as "XHTML5"."

Though I haven't read the whole spec lately, I believe it goes on to
specify this "XHTML5", much in the same way as it does HTML5.  So, at the
very least, the specification as quoted above >does< draw some very
important conclusions about interfacing XHTML5 with XML.  It specifically
says that browsers (the most common user agents) will parse it with an XML
processor. That seems to me to go pretty far toward saying that XHTML5
documents are indeed processable with XML tool chains.

Furthermore, the media type used is application/xhtml+xml, and the
normative specification for such media types makes clear that they are to
be processable as XML [2].

So, I'm having trouble with the premise of your request. Thank you.

Noah

[1] http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#html-vs-xhtml
[2] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt