Re: What problem is this task force trying to solve and why?

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 20:00:08 +0000
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
CC: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, public-html-xml@w3.org
 >  * Being liberal in what you accept has arguably proven useful on
the  Web,

I've always felt there is a third way here. When content is wrong, don't
punish the end user (it's not their fault), but don't give the
impression that everything is hunkydory either. Repair the content and
display it as best you can, but tell the user you've repaired it
(perhaps even ask them whether they want you to repair it), warn them
that it might be incomplete or incorrectly formatted, and invite them to
contact the webmaster to get it fixed.

Without this, we seem to be in a descending spiral of declining content
quality. What happens when browsers start auto-repairing broken
Javascript code or JSON data?

Michael Kay
Saxonica