RE: What problem is this task force trying to solve and why?

From: public-html-xml-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-xml-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of James Clark
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2010 3:53 PM
To: public-html-xml@w3.org
Subject: Re: What problem is this task force trying to solve and why?

> Microsoft's response: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Aug/0116.html

> My interpretation of the responses is that the WG much prefers the zero-change approach.

Yes. Reopening this issue would certainly delay standardization of HTML5, and there is a pretty strong consensus in the WG that this is Not A Good Thing.

> BTW, I don't agree with Henri that this is out of order.  It is about embedding XML in HTML, and so is absolutely central to the work of this TF.

Agree, but that means we're talking about "HTML6" because this would change the scope of HTML5 and thus delay Last Call, which is a non-starter for the team, Microsoft, and I'm sure plenty of others.  On the other hand, following Noah's advice to identify ...

> * What is desirable in terms of use cases?  I.e, what is it that various constituencies want to do, but can't do with the current specs and tools?

> * What sorts of changes are likely to be deployable and widely adopted in practice.

... gives some possibility of identifying smaller, pragmatic changes that could get into the HTML5 wave of specs even if the larger project of adding a general namespace mechanism to HTML5 is out of scope.