Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-08-13

From: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:23:16 -0500
To: public-html-wg-announce@w3.org
CC: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@exchange.microsoft.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>

> Issue-74/Action-133 canvas-accessibility
> This item is not due this week, but I'm choosing to flag it at this
> time as it as a target date of 2009-12-17 which would preclude us for
> going to Last Call this year.  I'd like to put out a call for
> volunteers: if there is anybody out there with an interest and ability
> to help pull this date in, I would like to ask that they step forward.

One suggestion I have on this, and yes I know this was based on a
previous vote, is that we re-consider whether to keep the Canvas element
in HTML 5, or to spin it off, either into a new working group, or
potential future working group.

I know that folks wanted this item covered by _some_ working group, but
canvas accessibility issues could end up holding back the entire HTML 5
document, because canvas accessibility isn't going to be a quick fix,
not from what I can see. In addition, tying the element to the HTML 5
will hinder future innovation.

Frankly, the HTML 5 specification is already overly large, and the HTML
5 object, other than the element tag, really doesn't fit in with a
specification titled "HTML" anything.

Is there any possibility that this one could be raised to a new item, or
be reconsidered?

Shelley