Re: W3C Director's Blog on EME

Is there any answer on this pending from the W3C? It's a pretty
significant question. We have one pending decision (from the charter
renewal) and one pending poll (for publication as a recommendation),
both of which have had murky timelines and no information on when we can
expect clarity or timing information.

The Director's blog post on EME is fraught because it appears that he's
pre-announcing the outcome of both polls, including one that hasn't even
taken place.

How are we members supposed to read that post? Is it by way of saying
that though the AC can expect to be consulted at some time in the
future, the Director has already reached a conclusion and thus it will
be a pro forma exercise? I hope that's not the case, but the silence is
ominous.

The days of silence following my list message below further compound
this: presumably, the answer is either, "Tim's just speaking in his
personal capacity and still has an open mind about this with his
Director's hat on" or "You can all go home now, we've made up our mind
and nothing you can say will change it." Either way, I don't understand
why the W3C would be prepared to draft, publish and announce that post
but not answer basic followup questions in timely fashion.

Cory

--

FOR PUBLIC SAFETY REASONS, THIS EMAIL HAS BEEN INTERCEPTED BY YOUR
GOVERNMENT AND WILL BE RETAINED FOR FUTURE ANALYSIS

--

Cory Doctorow
doctorow@craphound.com

For avoidance of doubt: This email does not constitute permission to add

blog: boingboing.net
upcoming appearances: craphound.com/?page_id=4667
books (novels, collections graphic novels, essay collections): craphound.com
latest nonfiction: Information Doesn't Want to Be Free
latest graphic novel: In Real Life
podcast: feeds.feedburner.com/doctorow_podcast
latest novel: Homeland craphound.com/homeland
latest short story collection: With a Little Help craphound.com/walh

Join my mailing list and find out about upcoming books, stories,
articles and appearances:

READ CAREFULLY. By reading this email, you agree, on behalf of your
employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
any and all NON-NEGOTIATED  agreements, licenses, terms-of-service,
shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have
entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and
assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release
me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.

As is the case with every email you've ever received, this email has not
been scanned for all known viruses.

Duh.