Re: Response from Director to formal objection "Turn off EME by default and activate only with express permission from user"

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 6:18 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Harry,
>>
>> I agree you should have a response to your objection.
>>
>> You should take a look at the Chrome bug you cited. I believe what
>> happened is that the ability to disable Widevine went away when the ability
>> to disable plugins went away (along, I presume, with the ability to install
>> arbitrary plugins). Chrome have now introduced an explicit setting for
>> disabling protected content.
>>
>> You don't mention the main argument on this issue which is that User
>> Agent implementors are best placed to decide what permissions should be
>> mandatory, considering the security of their whole platform and the
>> relative risks from different components based on their own detailed
>> knowledge of those components. You argue that CDMs are necessarily a
>> greater risk than the rest of the implementation but even if this is true
>> we cannot say that the difference in risk is always sufficient that it
>> justifies mandatory *a priori* consent. Only the UA implementor has the
>> knowledge and broader perspective on their implementation to make that
>> judgement.
>>

> That is clearly not true, as there is a conflict of interest by UA
> implementers who are also trying to make money from DRM-enabled content
> (such as Google creates both Chrome and  Youtube Red).

​Different from their conflict-of-interest when it comes to making money
from ads ?

If you don't trust the UA vendor with user security and privacy, I think
all bets are off.​

> Furthermore, UA implementers may not be aware of the security bugs in
> their own browsers, and thus the need for independent security research and
> audits by neutral third-parties, including end-users.

​This is why they do things like pwn2own.

> Therefore, due to the bizarre legal framework around DRM and the DMCA, the
> *conservative* and safe bet is to believe that the risk MUST justify
> mandatory a priori consent. If we did it for WebRTC, I see no reason why it
> cannot be done for EME.

​We're not arguing about whether it could be done, only whether it should
be done.
​