Re: Response from Director to formal objection "Turn off EME by default and activate only with express permission from user"

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 6:18 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> Hi Harry,
>
> I agree you should have a response to your objection.
>
> You should take a look at the Chrome bug you cited. I believe what
> happened is that the ability to disable Widevine went away when the ability
> to disable plugins went away (along, I presume, with the ability to install
> arbitrary plugins). Chrome have now introduced an explicit setting for
> disabling protected content.
>
> You don't mention the main argument on this issue which is that User Agent
> implementors are best placed to decide what permissions should be
> mandatory, considering the security of their whole platform and the
> relative risks from different components based on their own detailed
> knowledge of those components. You argue that CDMs are necessarily a
> greater risk than the rest of the implementation but even if this is true
> we cannot say that the difference in risk is always sufficient that it
> justifies mandatory *a priori* consent. Only the UA implementor has the
> knowledge and broader perspective on their implementation to make that
> judgement.

That is clearly not true, as there is a conflict of interest by UA
implementers who are also trying to make money from DRM-enabled content
(such as Google creates both Chrome and  Youtube Red).

Furthermore, UA implementers may not be aware of the security bugs in their
own browsers, and thus the need for independent security research and
audits by neutral third-parties, including end-users. Therefore, due to the
bizarre legal framework around DRM and the DMCA, the *conservative* and
safe bet is to believe that the risk MUST justify mandatory a priori
consent. If we did it for WebRTC, I see no reason why it cannot be done for
EME.

  cheers,
    harry