W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-media@w3.org > September 2016

[Minutes] HME WG F2F meeting, Lisbon, Mon Sep 19

From: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 12:37:21 +0000
To: "'public-html-media@w3.org'" <public-html-media@w3.org>
CC: "Vickers, Mark" <Mark_Vickers@comcast.com>
Message-ID: <CY4PR03MB2728160810A5E1E36E35C4D9EAF40@CY4PR03MB2728.namprd03.prod.outlook.com>
The minutes for the HME WG F2F meeting are at:
http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html
and are copied below.

We finished our agenda on the morning of Sep 19 and plan to use the remaining allocated time to working on our action items and EME testing.

/paulc
HME WG Chair

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3
Tel: (425) 705-9596 Fax: (425) 936-7329


[W3C]<http://www.w3.org/>

- DRAFT -
HTML Media Task Force Teleconference
19 Sep 2016

Agenda<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2016Sep/0094.html>

See also: IRC log<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-irc>

Attendees
Present
cwilso, markw, cyril, ericc
Regrets
Chair
SV_MEETING_CHAIR
Scribe
paulc
Contents

  *   Topics<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#agenda>
     *   Joint session with Web & TV IG to discuss MSE and EME status and additional use cases<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#item01>
     *   WG Decision for MSE Proposed Recommendation<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#item02>
     *   MSE Editorial issues<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#item03>
     *   MSE Registry publication as WG notes<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#item04>
     *   MSE test suite and results<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#item05>
     *   MSE summary<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#item06>
     *   EME V1Editorial issues<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#item07>
     *   EME NonBlocking issues<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#item08>
     *   Other EME issues<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#item09>
     *   EME test suite<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#item10>
     *   Additional EME testing<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#item11>
     *   Formal objections on EME<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#item12>
     *   MSE and EME timeline and charter discussion<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#item13>
     *   Use of polyfill tests<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#item14>
     *   MSE and EME timeline and charter discussion (2)<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#item15>
  *   Summary of Action Items<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
  *   Summary of Resolutions<http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-html-media-minutes.html#ResolutionSummary>

________________________________
Joint session with Web & TV IG to discuss MSE and EME status and additional use cases

See minutes from joint meeting: http://www.w3.org/2016/09/19-webtv-minutes.html

Mark's presentation is here: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-and-tv/2016Sep/att-0021/2015-09-19_WebTVIntro_v2_.pdf

paulc: We spent so much time talking about getting V1 done that we failed to look at the specific V2 use cases

See additional uses cases: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2016Sep/0091.html

Discussion of the uses cases is pending.
WG Decision for MSE Proposed Recommendation

WG Decision is here: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2016Sep/0093.html

Paul and Philippe are preparing the transition request.

We expect to get an MSE Recommendation by early November and that would required a charter extension until about Nov 15.
MSE Editorial issues

ISSUE-159 and ISSUE-163 need to be applied before the PR transition is done.
MSE Registry publication as WG notes

Philippe plans to publish these WG Notes at the same time as the Proposed Recommendation
MSE test suite and results

We believe we have sufficient evidence to proceed to PR.

Paul will check with Matt about WebIDL tests: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2016Sep/0052.html
MSE summary

Actions:

1. Paul and Philippe to generate transition request for Proposed Recommendation

2. Matt or Editors to apply editorial fixes for issue 159 and 163

3. Paul to check with Matt on on status of WebIDL tests

4. Philippe to request charter extension for MSE until about Nov 15.
EME V1Editorial issues

https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/milestones/V1Editorial

Only the registry SOTD issue is open: https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/183
EME NonBlocking issues

ISSUE-312: https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/312

<trackbot> Notes added to ISSUE-312 .

David has prepared a PR for this issue.

We need the browser implementers to express their opinion on whether they support David's change to a MUST here.

ISSUE-329: https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/329

<trackbot> Notes added to ISSUE-329 .

There is an editorial pull request. David is discussing with Philippe.

David is working on PR https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/pull/330
Other EME issues

https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/85 is awaiting interop evidence

Test data is that no browser is 100% compliant. Edge's implementation is still buggy.

We do not have two implementations yet.

We need to decide how to handle this at risk feature.

Mark: We need a consistent rule based on testing results and how they impact features in the spec.

Polyfill test works with Edge but that is only one implementation.
EME test suite

Latest test results: https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/85

Actually see https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2016Sep/0084.html

Status: Test files without 2 passes: 34; Subtests without 2 passes: 53; Failure level: 53/220 (24.09%)

Test files: 70; Total subtests: 220

>From the less than 2 results: http://w3c.github.io/test-results/encrypted-media/less-than-2.html

a) We need to convert the Google tests before evaluating these failures

b) Keystatus results pass on Chrome but fail on FF and Edge for different reasons

Edge bug has been filed but Mark does not have a useful URL

FF bug needs to be filed.

c) Persistent usage and Persistent license need reviewing since we don't have two implementations

Persisten license is implemented in Chrome OS. It might be in Edge and this needs to be checked.

Persistent usage record is only implemented in Edge and is not compliant.

Deleting the presistent usage record and persistent license features would leave only temporary session types.

d) Event sequences are not completely compliant on several browsers because they don't do what the spec says.

Note also the outstanding test suite PRs: https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr%20is%3Aopen%20label%3Aencrypted-media
Additional EME testing

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2016Sep/0089.html

see Paul's list of pending/outstanding test work:

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2016Sep/0092.html

Mark and Stefan (from CTA WAVE project) will reply to Paul's email with a testing work plan.
Formal objections on EME

https://dev.w3.org/html5/status/formal-objection-status.html
MSE and EME timeline and charter discussion

As per above it appears that we need until about Nov 15 to get MSE to Recommendation
Use of polyfill tests

Jerry is working on a version of the test results that added Mark's polyfill code to fix bugs in an implementation

Mark: We need to decide how to use these kinds of test results
... We have some larger Javascript "patches" for entire features and if these are the only implementation then they will be harder to use

We will ask Jerry to generate results that use polyfills that fix bug in browsers implementations.

In addition there are some additional bugs that might be able to be fixed by additional polyfills.

Mark will look into the new polyfils (when the new testing help is on board and doing other work).
MSE and EME timeline and charter discussion (2)

We talked about the EME status this morning at the joint meeting.

We need to engage quickly to generate a broader test suite, generate the results from the test suite, decide what feature are not intoperable, decide if we need to cut features and give Philippe a firm schedule on a Proposed Recommendation.

We are up against a deadline of our charter expiry on Sep 30.

Philippe last week stated that he wanted a timetable and plan by this week.

Attendance at meeting:

Paul Cotton, Microsoft (Chair)

Chris Wilson, Google

Cyril Concolato, Telecom Paris Tech

Satoshi Nishimura, NHK

Kazuhiro Hoya, JBA

Eric Carlson, Apple

Mark Watson, Netflix

Gary Kacmarcik, Google

Mike Assenti, Dolby

Summary of Action Items
Summary of Resolutions
[End of minutes]
________________________________
Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm> version 1.144 (CVS log<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
$Date: 2016/09/19 11:39:09 $
________________________________








image001.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image001.jpg)

Received on Monday, 19 September 2016 12:37:53 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 19 September 2016 12:37:56 UTC