Re: [EME] To what extent should EME support usage rules?

Adobe could support a start time for some keys. However not all keys would have a start time until they had been started.

The name “usableKeyIds” would need to change of course. Maybe “availableKeyIds”?

In this case the “status” of a key would start to look more like X.509 certificate status: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certification_path_validation_algorithm)
  * valid
  * valid but usage limited (aka downscaling)
  * invalid because validity period has not started
  * invalid because validity period has expired
  * invalid because revoked
  * invalid for DRM-specific reason
  * unknown (can’t tell without trying to use it)

Not sure how many of these are common. However I think applications could use this for testing and debugging so it could be useful especially for interop testing.
I am in favor of more information, but this could complicate things quite a bit for CDM implementors. I would like to hear feedback from some of them.

David, Adrian, Niels — any comments on this?

Joe