W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-media@w3.org > March 2014

{agenda} HTML WG media telecon 2014-03-18 - EME bug discussion

From: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 20:46:06 +0000
To: "public-html-media@w3.org" <public-html-media@w3.org>
Message-ID: <747ddf3efb364887be3941355fba4121@BL2PR03MB418.namprd03.prod.outlook.com>
The HTML WG media teleconference meeting will occur on 2014-03-18 for up to 60 minutes from 15:00Z to 16:00Z.


Tokyo midnight, Amsterdam/Oslo 16:00, London/Dublin 15:00, New Jersey/York 11:00, Kansas City 10:00, Seattle/San Francisco 08:00.

Chair of the meeting: Paul Cotton

Scribe: TBD

(See the end of this email for dial-in and IRC info.)

== Agenda ==

1. Roll call, introductions and selection of scribe

2. Previous meeting minutes

Mar 4: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2014Mar/0013.html

Feb 18: http://www.w3.org/2014/02/18-html-media-minutes.html

Feb 4: http://www.w3.org/2014/02/04-html-media-minutes.html

Jan 28: http://www.w3.org/2014/01/28-html-media-minutes.html

3. Review of action items and issues


a) ACTION-61: Work with wendy to make sure we get a security review [ Paul ]


Status: Paul reached out to Wendy again on Jan 23:


b) ACTION-62: Report back about the plan for 20944 due 2013-12-15 [ Paul ]


Status: No action yet but see developments on 20944:


and subsequent replies.

4. EME status and bugs

a) Encrypted Media Extensions editor's draft


Last updated on Mar 7.

b) Encrypted Media Extensions bugs:


Status as of Mar 17: 22 bugs

5. NEW EME bugs since the last meeting

a) Bug 24951 - Use a simple string to identify the initData format instead of a MIME/content type


Status: Blocks  17673 24673 24873

b) [EME] Persistent license


6. EME bugs for discussion

a) Bug 24771 - Provide guidance on object and CDM lifetime (including when events are guaranteed to be fired)


Status from Mar 4: Joe, Mark and someone from Microsoft will review.

b) Bug 24873 - Current isTypeSupported() definition does not provide sufficient information to applications


Status from Mar 4: Discussed briefly.  No specific action. Depends on bug 24951.

c) Bug 24874 - Positive isTypeSupported() may be misleading (MSE vs. .src=)


Status from Mar 4:  No specific action.  See David's update:


d) Bug 24904 - Uint8Array parameters should not be modifiable after method calls return


See also the thread at:


Status from Mar 4:  Proposal was to raise this as a TAG issue.

e) Bug 21798 - Revisit MediaKeyError codes


Status from Jan 28 meeting: Error codes and constants removed. New error names need to be proposed and added.

Status from Mar 4: David said he would make a proposal.

f) Bug 24027 - Define a generic Initialization Data solution for ISO Base Media File Format and/or Common Encryption (will be used by Clear Key)


Status from Mar 4: Mark and Joe were going to review this thread.

g) Bug 24419 - Clear Key: Define license request format


Status from Mar 4: Depends on 17682 which has an action pending my David.  See below.

h) Bug 24673 - Make all content type string checks case-sensitive


Status from Mar 4: Depends on bug 24591.

7. Implemented EME bugs awaiting review

a) Bug 18515 - Provide more details on behavior of the media element when the key for an encrypted block is not available


Implemented and awaiting review:


b) Bug 24270 - Make MediaKeySession State Definitions and Event Summary sections non-normative


c) Bug 24323 - Rename "First Time a Key Reference is Encountered" algorithm and remove key ID checks from Container Guidelines subsections


d) Bug 24368 - Define playback behavior when the key for an encrypted block is not available for a subset of streams


e) Bug 23619 - Change MediaKeyError to extend DOMError and use strings for error names


Resolved as FIXED at Mar 4 meeting.

8. EME bugs awaiting Editor implementation or action

a) Bug 17202 - Explicitly document how keys are to be shared


Next action: David to make changes in comment 3

b) Bug 17682 - Clear Key: Document how keys and key IDs are associated


Next action: David to add note. Blocks bug 24419.

c) Bug 23828 - HTMLSourceElement with |keySystem| attribute should create MediaKeys object for |keySystem|


Next action: Adrian to make changes (low priority - see 23827)

d) Bug 24026 - Document that URLs (destinationURL) should/may be validated and/or normalized


Next action: David to add proposed text (to bug or spec)

e) Bug 24081 - The READY state is too limiting and should be more like the PENDING state


Next action: TF to discuss David's proposal (Microsoft is supportive)

Status from Jan 28 meeting: David to implement his proposal.

f) Bug 24216 - setMediaKeys() needs more specification


David agreed to develop a proposal:


g) Bug 17673 - Define Initialization Data for implementations that choose to support the ISO Base Media File Format


Mar 4: Adrian agreed to implement this change.  Depends on Bug 24951.

h) Bug 17750 - Define the behavior MediaKeySession close() and clearing the keys attribute


See recent response from Adrian since Feb 18 meeting:


Mar 4: Adrian agreed to implement this change.

9. EME bugs on hold or lower priority

a) Bug 20944 - EME should do more to encourage/ensure CDM-level interop


Next action: ACTION-62 on Paul

b) Bug 23827 - Need to add features at risk prior to entry into Candidate Recommendation


Next action: wait until LC

c) Bug 24025 - Add optional configuration parameter to MediaKeys constructor


Next action: discuss as part of 24082 below. Tied to the general extensibilty issue.

Mark added his use case on Feb 18:


d) Bug 24082 - Several issues discussed in the TF point to the need for defined extensibility points in EME


Next action: TF agreed that members need to propose use cases - not blocking and lower priority

e) Bug 24322 - Reorganize spec by object


Next action: significant editorial change just needs editing - not blocking

10. Any other business

11. Chair and Scribe for next meeting

12. Adjournment

== Dial-in and IRC Details ==

Zakim teleconference bridge:

   +1.617.761.6200, conference 63342 ("media")


Supplementary IRC chat (logged):

   #html-media on irc.w3.org port 6665 or port 80 Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada

17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3

Tel: (425) 705-9596 Fax: (425) 936-7329

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3
Tel: (425) 705-9596 Fax: (425) 936-7329
Received on Monday, 17 March 2014 20:46:38 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:33:02 UTC