Re: how does EME/DRM effect captioning

This has gotten pretty far afield from the original topic, but it still my be of interest to the HTML WG. I can take this off list if the group prefers.

Yes. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3961

> That
> a rather surprising direction to go especially as fewer and fewer Macs
> come with DVD drives and Microsoft, as I understand, kicked MPEG-2 out
> of the set of system codecs into a separate product as of Windows 8
> (like Apple used to have the QuickTime MPEG-2 decoder as separate
> product).

I'll decline to comment on the business decisions of Apple or Microsoft. That said, many video capture products emit MPEG-2.  Having the MPEG-2 codec (and the MPEG-2 TS container) available means those products "just work" without third party drivers or applications.

> I gather that Safari does not expose all QuickTime codecs to the Web,
> though. Why expose MPEG-2?

I think you have gathered incorrectly. The only "QuickTime codecs" we explicitly block are ones which do not make sense in a <video> element, such as application/pdf and text/plain, both of which QuickTime claims to support. Additionally, Safari will also support Ogg or WebM, provided a QuickTime component supporting that format is installed.

-Jer