Re: how does EME/DRM effect captioning

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com> wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2013, at 3:18 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> Which browsers currently implement MPEG-2 without DRM in HTML5 video?
>
> Safari on OS X supports plain MPEG-2 media as well as MPEG-2 Transport Streams in <video> elements through HTTP Live Streaming.

Whoa. That's news to me. Do I understand correctly that since Lion,
MPEG-2 decoding is available to all apps as part of QuickTime X? That
a rather surprising direction to go especially as fewer and fewer Macs
come with DVD drives and Microsoft, as I understand, kicked MPEG-2 out
of the set of system codecs into a separate product as of Windows 8
(like Apple used to have the QuickTime MPEG-2 decoder as separate
product).

I gather that Safari does not expose all QuickTime codecs to the Web,
though. Why expose MPEG-2?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi