Re: No subset for email

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@oryx.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 18:02:12 +0100
To: public-html-mail@w3.org
Cc: Dave Cridland <dave@cridland.net>

Arnt Gulbrandsen writes:
> Gregory Woodhouse writes:
>> Now, that's been tried before (with rich text), without much (if any)
>> success.
>> [...]
>
> It's been tried three times before. Two total failures (text/richtext
> and text/enriched), one reasonable success (format=flowed).

More than "reasonable" success, I now learn.

Dave Cridland (a MUA developer) accidentally broke his MUA this week, so
that it couldn't display text/plain, only text/plain;format=flowed. He
says about three quarters of his human-generated mail remained
readable, and most machine-generated mail (bounces etc.) was
unreadable.

I'm sure other people will find different numbers if they do the same
count. But at least for some people, the very restricted format=flowed
has had much greater success than unrestricted HTML.

Arnt