Re: Multiple types from different vocabularies (ACTION-7)

Hi all:

My simple take is to define a reserved keyword "secondaryType" for itemprop that is used for attaching additional types without creating ambiguity about the scope of the properties. Semantically, this would be equivalent to rdf:type, and you will want to allow multiple of those.

The nice thing of this approach is:

1. You could start by simply adding this to http://schema.org/Thing without a need to update the Microdata spec first. So you could get this done within a day.
2. You could later add this to the spec.
3. There is no confusion about the scope of local properties.
4. The mapping to RDF is trivial (simply use the full URI of rdf:type).
5. You do not introduce a new Microdata core keyword, just a predefined property.

Example

  <link itemprop="secondaryType" href="http://www.productontology.org/id/Hammer" />
  <link itemprop="secondaryType" href="http://example.org/my_ontology.owl#Tool" />
<!-- other schema.org properties go in here -->

One prop, and you will be all set, and the SW community and the search engines can live and prosper in love, peace and harmony ;-)

Martin