From: Steve Faulkner [mailto:faulkner.steve@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2015 10:46 AM
To: Gunderson, Jon R <jongund@illinois.edu>
Cc: public-html-comments@w3.org; Nick Hoyt <nhoyt@uiuc.edu>; Rich Schwerdtfeger <rschwerdtfeger@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: FOOTER and HEADER elements defined as landmarks in HTML5

Hi Jon,
I agree, from looking at usage of the elements that map to landmark roles, that some tweaking is needed (main usage being the least problematic by far, from recent data anaylisis 98% of pages using <main> use 1)

Can you provide some idea of the logic for such restrictions to be implemented in browsers?
for example
"only the first header in DOM scoped to the body is mapped to banner"
"only the last footer in DOM is mapped to contentinfo"
Would these result an acceptable majority of use being covered?

here are some example pages conatining header and footer
http://www.html5accessibility.com/HTML5data/header-footer/index-all.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.html5accessibility.com_HTML5data_header-2Dfooter_index-2Dall.html&d=AwMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=REZD8fc2AwufInstfW3L5jSLVS8bjZtAodDOhat7yAI&m=bfvxRqSNs_8PUhbl6ZQ5-CC13OIQMG03z4np6VAN-c8&s=gx8sqTfb34dwY7DUh8CNHu0CC5ZftMKxb15lXD4Mv4o&e=>

--

Regards

SteveF
Current Standards Work @W3C<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.paciellogroup.com_blog_2015_03_current-2Dstandards-2Dwork-2Dat-2Dw3c_&d=AwMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=REZD8fc2AwufInstfW3L5jSLVS8bjZtAodDOhat7yAI&m=bfvxRqSNs_8PUhbl6ZQ5-CC13OIQMG03z4np6VAN-c8&s=xGvL1xqSDSiSkY4BhlMG2VEowbC2iqECfpICatjPsP8&e=>