Re: Keep DRM out of Web standards -- Reject the Encrypted Media Extensions (EME) proposal

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 09:30:29 +0800
To: "Jens O. Meiert" <jens@meiert.com>
Cc: W3C Public HTML <public-html@w3.org>, W3C Public HTML Comments <public-html-comments@w3.org>
On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Jens O. Meiert <jens@meiert.com> wrote:

> (I can’t tell whether we have a “canonical” DRM in HTML thread—there
> are numerous—but one should probably stay open.)
>
> I like to emphasize that DRM should be regarded as a bigger
> socio-political problem around intellectual property, not a technical
> issue with HTML and its periphery. I’ve jotted down a few thoughts in
> <http://meiert.com/en/blog/20131122/drm-and-html/>.

For the purposes of the two MLs that you have sent this mail to, it is
precisely *only* a technical issue with HTML and its periphery, a decision
taken by the W3C team and chairs. If you have technical comments about the
EME spec, then please post here. However, discussion about the larger
socio-political topic of restricted content should occur at [1], which was
created for this purpose.

[1] http://www.w3.org/community/restrictedmedia/