aria-describedat (was Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update)

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 06:59:39 -0500
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, public-html-comments <public-html-comments@w3.org>, Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Hi Silvia,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Charles McCathie Nevile
<chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
> Hi Silvia,
> SEO, repeating the mistaktes, old aldvice doesn't die,
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 02:41:56 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
> <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 5:51 AM, Laura Carlson
>>> longdesc is experiencing increased usage in the wild

> [...]
>> Interestingly, you data actually confirms the message that I just sent
>> on another thread [1] about moving to @aria-describedat. I would think
>> that all of these institutions that are supportive of accessibility
>> and are using @longdesc in the correct way for this purpose would
>> accept moving to use @aria-describedat

aria-describedat  would be unacceptable. Some of the rationale:

Using a Bridging Technology is Backward

ARIA Skill Set

Breaking Backwards Compatibility is an Intolerable Cost

Need for Support Tools

Need for Educational Materials

Forced Visual Encumbrance Adds Visual Clutter

Best Regards,
Laura L. Carlson