Re: URL parsing in HTML5

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 08:34:03 -0700
To: "public-iri@w3.org" <public-iri@w3.org>, public-html-comments@w3.org, "Peter Saint-Andre" <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Cc: "Sam Ruby" <rubys@intertwingly.net>, "Paul Cotton (pcotton@microsoft.com)" <pcotton@microsoft.com>, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, "Adam Barth" <ietf@adambarth.com>, "Edward O'Connor" <ted@oconnor.cx>
On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 21:21:50 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
wrote:
> [...]

The outcome you sketch will also result in all other W3C specifications to
be implemented by browsers (and even HTTP if it were to be defined in a
non-fiction manner) depend on HTML for its definition of URL processing.

And as stated before I think user agents other than browsers are already
affected when it comes to e.g. Location header handling if that header
where to contain a space somewhere or an "invalid" character. URLs leak
and as such the way they have been implemented in browsers leaks too. E.g.
search engines will most certainly want to implement them identically.

The only piece of software I can think of where it does not matter is a
piece of software that deals with walled garden content and when it comes
to the web I think that should be the least of our priorities.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/