Contributions to HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives

From: Reinaldo Ferraz <reinaldo@nic.br>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 16:29:49 -0300
To: public-html-comments@w3.org
Dear Srs.

Follow my contributions to the document *HTML5: Techniques for providing
useful text alternatives*

Best Regards
Reinaldo Ferraz

*Examples of scenarios where users benefit from text alternatives for
images*
Add:
- They have problems to load images or the source of image is wrong

Question: In the *Example 2.5*, is it possible to use Image maps

Removing the link *Providing a text alternative that is not null. (e.g.,
alt="spacer" or alt="image") for images that should be ignored by
assistive technology [WCAG20-TECHS]*. In that way, it would made users
confused about the meaning (if the user doesnt click on the link)

In the *Example 6.4*, I consider important a short description to the
image. Itīs important even for a blind person or somebody who cannot
load images perceive that there is an image with a purpose: create a
medieval atmosphere to the webpage. I disagree that the image with
description is only related to the blind or low vision webpage. The link
example shows the users preference
http://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey/#images

I belive that *3.11 A group of images that form a single larger picture
with and without links* is not necessary. the same situation is been
using at the examples *Example 1.1* and *Example 1.2*