Re: Proposal on html HEADING elements

Sebastian Heath wrote:

> Rather than H0 as the title of a document, perhaps it would be
> interesting to allow the 'title' element to appear in the body of a
> document. Only one title per document, but either in head or in body.

Browsers already accept the title element in the body, too. So what you seem
to be asking is that when the title element is inside the body element, it
should be used as a visible heading, too, in addition to using it for
whatever browsers and other software use title elements.

But the idea of making the title element visible is best expressed using a
style sheet, and this is already possible on advanced browsers. You just
need to set head, title { display: none; } and then style it in whatever
heading-like way you like.

> The rational is that this would allow authors to adhere to "Don't
> Repeat Yourself". As currently constrained by HTML4, I sometimes find
> myself repeating the contents of the title element, word-for-word in
> a h1 or similar element in the body. That's silly.

The title element and the h1 element have different roles and should be
written differently. Authoring software often defaults h1 content to title
content (saving you from repeating yourself if you prefer), but this is
questionable. A string that describes the document in a way that postulates
no particular context is seldom a good heading for a page. We are lazy at
times, but being lazy shouldn't be made any easier.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/