Re: Can accessing the device microphone and camera be added to HTML5?

On Mon, 3 May 2010, Eduard Pascual wrote:

> For example, how doable would be to automatically generate a filtered
> document with only those features that are at least supported by two
> implementations (ie: they pass all the relevant tests)?

It would probably be pretty hard because of the cross-dependencies.

> A key advantage here is that a snapshot can be frozen without
> interfering with spec advancement. For example, no matter what changes
> are made next month, a "HTML Snapshot May 2010" would remain unaffected.
>
> This would allow implementations to claim conformance with a given
> snapshot, which is more useful for users when comparing available
> options than vague claims such as "already supports a lot of HTML5
> features".

Browsers don't generally claim to support a particular version, unless
they're lying. For example, nobody has ever implemented all of HTML4
correctly. I don't think that's been a problem.

I'm more interested in having the spec be realistic and useful for
implementors and authors than optimising it for making it easier to make
claims of conformance.