Re: Can accessing the device microphone and camera be added to HTML5?

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010, Fenton Travers wrote:
>> Get into a 12-18 month cycle for spec upgrades for a while, until we run
>> out of major areas of improvement, then things can slow down again.
>
> I think a better solution would be to have a continuous process of adding
> features and fixing bugs, with no frozen versions. What's the point of a
> cycle? It doesn't match any of the browser vendors, it doesn't match the
> authoring community, so why bother? It's just artificial.

Could you expand on this a little - it's left me somewhat confused.

Is the takeaway that HTML5 will constantly be in flux and never reach
Recommendation / be a Web Standard?

Will there be (or is there) some form of core HTML5 specification that
vendors must implement and support, and then optional specifications
which vendors can choose to implement or not - or at least a structure
that would allow vendors to effectively say we "support a,b,c but not d
& e"?

Surely there has to be core subset of everything under the HTML5 banner
that vendors must/should implement - or is the authoring community to
assume that what they create may not be fully supported?

The short is, when I'm authoring a document I need to know what's
supported globally, or at least what should be supported globally.

aside: is there a fixed way of determining at runtime what features are
supported before attempting to use them (particularly with js related
features) or is it up to userland to figure out how?

Best,

Nathan