Re: Can accessing the device microphone and camera be added to HTML5?

Honestly I am personally amazed that HTML5 is still open.  I mean I am just
a slightly more than average observer, but to me this long period of
standard forming is part of the problem.

If I had my druthers, I would like to see the spec frozen to new additions,
spend a short but reasonable time resolving anything that needs to be
resolved, and then start work on HTML 5.1, or HTML 6, or HTML Codename Betty
and Veronica, or whatever it should be called next.  Get into a 12-18 month
cycle for spec upgrades for a while, until we run out of major areas of
improvement, then things can slow down again.

In a recent email to a friend I outlined things I would love to see
addressed, but didn't feel were likely until after HTML5 was done:

   - APIs for Capturing Audio, Video, and Stills
   - Support for non mouse input (accelerometers, gestures, etc)
   - The idea of a sandboxed file store, and the ability to work with files
   (I would love to be able to know the modification date of the file I may be
   uploading, or working with locally, as an example)
   - The ability to send and receive data over bluetooth obex, or other
   means
   - The ability to access nonfile like things (the address book for example
   - A more Java like sandbox that users can control what rights a webapp
   might have

But unless one of the major browser vendors implement these things and then
get them retrospectively added to the spec, I don't personally think any of
these will get added any time soon.

Instead HTML5 will dither on for however long it is going to take for them
to decide to stop taking submissions (when was the last reasonably likely
one BTW?), then formalize the spec, and then decide to move forward.

In the mean time we are in kind of limbo on the next round of important
improvements.  I would love to be proved wrong, I just don't think I am...

--
Jock Murphy
Founder