Re: Fulscreen Tag Proposal

The correct design would be to use a window-less application for desktop
applications, which then spawn windows using standard javascript and DOM
(window.open function).

http://www.pageresource.com/jscript/jwinopen.htm

<http://www.pageresource.com/jscript/jwinopen.htm>Attributes such as width,
height, scrollbars, toolbars, status bar, menubar, etc can be set.

Adding an attribute "fullscreen=yes" could enable you to open a fullscreen
window easily, using the currently implemented javascript support. That way,
you won't need to reconsider the implicatoins such a tag has.

Adding to your proposition, I suggest doing the opposite (which will
eventually lead to the correct design of your idea) and adding a seperate
DOCTYPE tag attribute called a "windowless application".

Examples:
<!DOCTYPE WLHTML>
<!DOCTYPE HTML windowless="true">

Since the DOCTYPE tag must be the first tag in an HTML document, browsers
could open window-less applications without a window, and allow such web
applications to use the standard javascript API to spawn windows.

With the addition of a fullscreen tag, one could configure a desktop
application to open a web application directly in fullscreen mode.

This capability enables HTML5 to be more flexible than any browser based
plugin in the world.

--
-- Ron