new HTML feature: <link rel="cache" type="application/zip" href="small-files.zip" />

From: Kuzma Deretuke <Kuzma.Deretuke@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 18:32:25 +0300
To: public-html-comments@w3.org
Cc: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
Hello, guys

Possibly you know about the common web-developer's problem - there are a lot
of small files on the page: icons, sprites, images, css, javascripts, etc...

We have to make a lot of hacks and tricks to make end-user's page to load
faster. Such of them
- compose sprites in a single big image and manage this mess via the css;
- concatenate all css- or javascript-files, linked to the page into the
single porridge;
- ...

I want to suggest the feature, that allows
- to end users - load web sites faster
- to developers - manage files, used on the page, in more flexible and
usable way

Shot description:
*<link rel="cache" type="application/zip" href="small-files.zip" />*

Long description:
Now all web-browsers look for the resources on the page (1) in the local
cache or (2) on the web-server.

I suggest to introduce the middle stage - an archive with the cached files.

It is significantly faster to load the single file about 30-50kB then 15-20
files of 1kB size. Even if the cache-file will be used only on 10-20% for
this page. Also it is much simple to manage an archive with images, then
compose the big one from the small parts and manage it via css.

I hope this feature or another applicable mechanism to solve this problem
will appear in the future specifications of the HTML.

--
Best regards

Kuzma
Kuzma.Deretuke@gmail.com