Re: HTML5 form attribute for form associated elements

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:58:24 +0200
To: public-html-comments@w3.org, "Thompson, John" <jthomp@midwestern.edu>
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 02:46:07 +0200, Thompson, John <jthomp@midwestern.edu>
wrote:
> As I was reading through the differences doc I noticed that HTML5 is
> making it possible to move form associated elements outside of the form
> tag. This is a good step, I wonder though, why not go further and allow
> all but the submit button to be associated with multiple forms? I have
> many times needed more than one form on the page and if I could share a
> couple of those elements between forms (especially the hidden elements),
> that would be much simpler. Ideas?

We had this back in Web Forms 2.0. The form="" attribute took a
space-separated list. There were a few minor issues with radio buttons and
overall we decided it would probably be better to simplify the model
somewhat for now. (Older Opera builds have support for this.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/