Re: HTML5 form attribute for form associated elements

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:53:40 +0100
To: "Thompson, John" <jthomp@midwestern.edu>
CC: public-html-comments@w3.org
Thompson, John wrote:
> As I was reading through the differences doc I noticed that HTML5 is
> making it possible to move form associated elements outside of the form
> tag. This is a good step, I wonder though, why not go further and allow
> all but the submit button to be associated with multiple forms? I have
> many times needed more than one form on the page and if I could share a
> couple of those elements between forms (especially the hidden elements),
> that would be much simpler. Ideas?

can't see it happening, but perhaps detaching elements from being nested
in a form and instead add a @contains attribute which is a comma
separated list of elements in the form would be a good all round
approach without limitations.

Quite sure this would create a whole host of issues such as what happens
when you hide a form? Would only really be possible if form wasn't a
display object.

However, probably best to focus on keeping it the stable and catching
bugs rather than adding new functionality to age old elements with many
backward compatibility considerations :)

Best,

Nathan