Re: Video DOM API

From: Michael A. Puls II <shadow2531@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 00:12:01 -0400
To: public-html-comments@w3.org
Gervase Markham <gerv@gerv.net> wrote:

> On a <video> element (I haven't tried <audio>), if you change the src=
> attribute to a new file, you have to call .load() before .play(),
> otherwise it replays the old file. This lost me half an hour of
> debugging, and recently another person posted in the Mozilla newsgroups
> having exactly the same problem.

(Thanks for posting this)

I am that other person and here's what I personally expect, fwiw:

When setting src:

1. The current media should stop playing.

2. It should then be unloaded.

3. All states should be reset (including the play state).

4. The new media should start loading.

5. If autoplay is true, the new media should start playing. If not, it
only starts playing when you call play().

My use-case is setting @src when clicking on a link (in an ordered list of
many links with click handlers) to an .ogg file.

Having to call load() after setting src seems odd since I set src for a
reason, which is, to load it so I can play() it (or automatically play it
if I have autoplay set to true).

For <object> when you change @type/@data, the object is pretty much
re-evaluated. I pretty much expect the same when setting src for <audio>
and <video>

--
Michael