Re: Video DOM API

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:20:10 +0200, Gervase Markham <gerv@gerv.net> wrote:

> On 10/10/09 09:19, Simon Pieters wrote:
>>> Actually, no, scratch that.
>>>
>>> I just want play() to implicitly invoke load(), because then it all
>>> DWYM.
>>
>> Even if the first video hasn't ended yet? Even if src hasn't changed?
>
> Well, if src hasn't changed, then presumably load() is a no-op under any
> circumstances?

No. load() empties the media element, resets playbackRate, fires some
events and restarts the resource selection algorithm.

> If a video is playing, I change the src= and then call play() again, I
> don't think it's unreasonable to expect the element to start playing the
> new src.

I think it is unreasonable, because pause() and play() are intended to be
used for author-supplied scripted controls, and the user should be able to
pause and play the first video without that causing the new video to be
loaded.

>> Invokind load() on play() still doesn't solve preloading, which you said
>> you wanted to have earlier.
>
> Yeah, scratch that. As you explained, much better to use two elements.

Ok.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software