Reminder: Server-sent events, remove custom event name capabilitiy from SSE wire syntax

From: John Fallows <john.fallows@kaazing.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 15:06:07 -0700
To: "public-html-comments@w3.org" <public-html-comments@w3.org>
As discussed on IRC:

<john_fallows> Hixie: the latest EventSource API for SSE looks great -
question: is it now illegal to send "open" and "error" event types in
an SSE stream because eventSource.addEventListener("open", ...) and
eventSource.addEventListener("error", ...) would be ambiguous if this
is permitted?
<Hixie> john_fallows: it's actually been impossible to set the event
name for some time now
<john_fallows> Hixie: okay, missed that removal from the spec, so we
are locked down as message always?
<Hixie> john_fallows: yeah, i believe so
<john_fallows> ok, great - that allieviates any concern, thanks. :)
<john_fallows> Hixie: am i missing something?
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#processField seems to still
have the ability to override the event name if the event field is
present.
<Hixie> john_fallows: huh, go figure.
<Hixie> john_fallows: i guess you _can_ send arbitrary events then
<Hixie> john_fallows: i wonder why we still support that
<john_fallows> Hixie: IMHO this is probably no longer necessary, and
as pointed out previously it is also ambiguous for "open" and "error"
events.
<Hixie> john_fallows: yeah
<Hixie> john_fallows: can you send mail to the list saying that i
should remove it?
<john_fallows> Hixie: would you like me to send email to remind you to
remove it?
<john_fallows> :-)
<Hixie> yes please :-)

Kind Regards,
John Fallows.
--
>|< Kaazing Corporation >|<
John Fallows | CTO | +1.650.960.8148
888 Villa St, Ste 410 | Mountain View, CA 94041, USA