Re: HTML 5 suggestion for TABLE element

From: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:55:07 +0200
To: "Dahal, Biswa" <biswa-dahal@uiowa.edu>
Cc: "public-html-comments@w3.org" <public-html-comments@w3.org>, "whatwg@whatwg.org" <whatwg@whatwg.org>
2009/6/10 Dahal, Biswa <biswa-dahal@uiowa.edu>:
> Hi,
>

> I am a developer and as I was going through the draft for HTML 5 at:
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-author/#tabular-data, I could not find a common
> use-case that should be supported.

That is not the HTML5 draft, that is the HTML5 for Authors (a guide,
in practice, not a normative specification).
The HTML5 draft is at http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec

> My recommendation is to add an attribute “scroll: scolling (default) |
> fixed” in <thead> and <tfoot> to allow them to be fixed (non scrolling
> headers / footers ). This is currently performed through CSS hacks and is
> not consistent across browser implementations.  Example CSS implementation:
> http://www.ssi-developer.net/css/non-scrolling-table-hdr.shtml to understand
> the effect. Alternatively, you can open Excel and use “freeze panes” to view
> the effect.

This does not belong to HTML, it belongs to CSS Tables Level 3, in
defining the meaning of height and overflow for table-row-groups
(currently undefined). You should forward this suggestion to
www-style@w3.org

> Please let me know if you acknowledge this.
>

> Thanks,
>
> BD
>
> Software Developer

Giovanni