HTML 5 suggestion for TABLE element

From: Dahal, Biswa <biswa-dahal@uiowa.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:01:09 -0500
To: "'public-html-comments@w3.org'" <public-html-comments@w3.org>, "'whatwg@whatwg.org'" <whatwg@whatwg.org>
Hi,

I am a developer and as I was going through the draft for HTML 5 at: http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-author/#tabular-data, I could not find a common use-case that should be supported.

My recommendation is to add an attribute "scroll: scolling (default) | fixed" in <thead> and <tfoot> to allow them to be fixed (non scrolling headers / footers ). This is currently performed through CSS hacks and is not consistent across browser implementations.  Example CSS implementation: http://www.ssi-developer.net/css/non-scrolling-table-hdr.shtml to understand the effect. Alternatively, you can open Excel and use "freeze panes" to view the effect.

Please let me know if you acknowledge this.

Thanks,
BD
Software Developer