Inline Lists

From: Ryan Roberts <hello@ryanroberts.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:39:25 +0100
To: public-html-comments@w3.org
I came across a problem recently while trying to markup a list within
a paragraph. Here's an example:

- Today I went to the local store and bought; cheese, bread, milk,
eggs and a tin of spam. When I got home I found the eggs were rotten
and the bread was green!

Here we have an inline list within a paragraph, something I would
guess to be quite common.

It would not be appropriate to break out into a block level list
surrounded by two separate paragraphs. Using CSS is also out of the
question because I would then have to embed the list element within
the paragraph. I suppose I could use the b element to set the list
text off from the surrounding text but this doesn't convey the correct
semantic information.

Has a solution for this ever been considered in HTML?  If it has been
considered is there anything I can read covering why it wasn't accepted?

Thanks,
Ryan

Web Designer & Developer
hello@ryanroberts.co.uk